[PEAK] Wiki defacement; should we lock down?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 19 21:47:58 EST 2004

We had another Wiki defacement today; this one was a script kiddie rather
than a spammer, who deleted the entire IntroToPeak front page, trying to
upload some PHP to hack into the machine.

I fixed the damage (AFAICT), but I wonder if perhaps we should move to a
"registered users only" security policy.  An awful lot of the Wiki editing
that takes place these days consists of spammers adding links, and us
taking them back down.  Going registration-only would fix a lot of this,
but at the cost of losing the ability for people to casually edit and comment.

What do you guys think?