[PEAK] Wiki defacement; should we lock down?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 19 23:00:02 EST 2004

At 12:55 AM 11/20/04 -0200, Osvaldo Santana wrote:
>Hi Phillip,
>
>I see this problem today. I've tried to 'revert' the wiki page but I
>had no permission for that.

The version I'm using doesn't have a 'revert' function, as far as I can
tell.  What I've been doing is viewing the diff between the current version
of a page and its original, then copying that text back into the page.

>I'm from Brazil like de script kiddie and I will try to discover who
>is it. (I've a moin site in www.pythonbrasil.com.br and this kind of
>problem occur with me too)
>
>Other problem with peak-wiki is the spammers. I think that the
>solution for both problems is upgrade the moin software and start to
>use ACLs in the FrontPage (only admin permission) for defacers and use
>ACLs for registered users to edit other pages for spammers.

I can probably do this with the version I have, although I'm not positive.

>Perhaps the anti-spam tricks available in moin-1.3 can help in this case too.

Perhaps.  Unfortunately, in later versions of moin they introduced some
features I really *don't* want to include, although at this point I've
forgotten what they are.  Although, one particular misfeature is that in
later versions the reStructuredText support was broken, which is bad.  (For
example, at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DistutilsDependencies I
had a reStructuredText page that got broken when python.org upgraded.)