[TransWarp] PEAK with Python2.3

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Sep 17 13:01:41 EDT 2003

At 06:44 PM 9/17/03 +0200, Eckhard Jost wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 17. September 2003 18:21 schrieb Phillip J. Eby:
> > At 02:10 PM 9/17/03 +0200, Eckhard Jost wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >my Zope-2.7.0-b2 is happily running under python2.3. And now I want to
> > >replace
> > >ZPatterns with PEAK for a new Projekt.
> >
> > That might be a bit premature, unless you're already comfortable with PEAK
> > and what it currently does.
>
>Hmm, so I have a problem now, because ZPatterns is not supportet for the new
>Python-Versions anymore and PEAK is not ready to use?

ZPatterns in general has been user-supported for some years now.  All the
ZPatterns applications that Ty and I support are still running on earlier
Zope versions, using Python 1.5.2.

>Especially, I have no idea how to compile DynPersit.c with the newer
>Python-Versions.

Me either.  :)

> > >When I tryied to install PEAK-05a2 under python2.3 I got the following:
> > >
> > >   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/distutils/sysconfig.py", line 159, in
> > >customize_compiler
> > >     cpp = cc + " -E"           # not always
> > >TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
> >
> > Looks like a distutils problem ascertaining the C compiler.  Are you
> > perhaps on Windows, and lacking a C compiler?
>
>I am an Pinguin... ;-)
>It works fine with python2.2.3.
>I think you are maybe not totally right, because I compiled Zope-2.7.0-b2 and
>plone without any problems with python2.3.

Could be.  I've previously built PEAK with the 2.3 alpha and beta releases
on Linux though, without problems.  I haven't built it with 2.3 final,
though.  I'll give it a try when I have the chance; it may not be today,
however.  (2.2.2 is the Python version we currently use for production
apps, apart from our old Zopes.)