[ZPatterns] PEAK 0.5a1 is released

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Thu, 01 May 2003 15:45:45 -0400

I am pleased to announce the release of PEAK, The Python Enterprise
Application Kit, version 0.5, alpha 1.

This is the first official "release" of PEAK.  It's mainly intended to
serve as a milestone against which future releases are measured.  That is,
our changelog has to start somewhere.  :)

Nonetheless, this version boasts an impressive array of features -- so
impressive, in fact, that the feature *overview* is too long for this
email.  Instead, please see the README, which may be found at:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/doc/

along with the current API reference, and the installation
instructions.  If this is your first exposure to PEAK, we recommend you
take a look at our crude beginnings of a tutorial, at:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/tut.pdf

Finally, the downloadable source and binary installation packages are
available at:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/

and other PEAK information and resources may be found at PEAK's home page:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/

Limitations
-----------

Although the software itself is largely stable and reasonably free of bugs,
this version should be considered as still an early release for
experimenters and tinkerers, not a production quality
release.  Documentation is scattered and brief.  APIs are still subject to
flux, although most are not expected to change significantly.

PEAK does not yet offer significant tools for building applications with
Zope X3.  At present, it can crudely publish an "application" using
'zope.publisher' via CGI or FastCGI, but does not integrate with Zope
security, views, or any other advanced features.  We do not expect to have
such features until alpha 3 or later.