[ZPatterns] a LDAP-AttributeProvider again

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:15:44 -0400

At 06:36 PM 6/21/01 +0200, Ulrich Eck wrote:

>I'm not completly shure if I shouldn't implement this as Rack because as far
>as i can see
>I don't have any control about object creation/deletion when I use an
>Attribute provider.
>
>any comments on this ??

Ty and I originally intended to make specialized kinds of racks such as SQL
racks, LDAP racks, etc., or perhaps specialized attribute providers.  We
ran into the same types of design questions as you did, however, which led
to the breakthrough of "generic" providers and ultimately SkinScript.  What
we do these days is have library objects which supply functions we need to
use from SkinScript.  Typically this is as a folder containing SQL methods,
external methods, etc. representing the database.  We then call these
methods from SkinScript.

In the case of LDAP, we usually use external methods which operate upon a
ZLDAPConnection (?) object to do the things we need.  We have not found
enough useful similarities between our varied uses of LDAP to support
creation of a general-purpose LDAP tool.

In other words, our experience has tended to suggest that custom provider
objects written in Python aren't all that useful in the general case.  They
only seem to make sense as a one-off to do something really unusual.