[ZPatterns] getId/setId compatibility (was Re: HowTo: Make an Image/File a DataSkin ???)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:07:41 -0500

Okay.  I've done a little research now...  First of all, Image and File
don't need anything special to work with ZPatterns except the revised
__init__ procedure you've described below.  This is because they define an
'id()' method which is just fine by ZPatterns at present.  However, I do
intend to change Rack to use getId() from now on, and recommend changing
SkinScripts to use 'getId()' in place of 'id'.

And, to handle _setId() compatibility, I'm going to change
DataSkin.__init__ to a no-op, and change Rack._RawItem() to call
item._setId(key) after calling item._setRack(self).  This should be fully
backward- and forward- compatible with existing code.  Of course, for
objects like Image and File which need arguments for their __init__
methods, you will still have to use the workaround described below, but at
least you won't need to worry about how/whether the 'id' is getting set
up.  Donwside: you may have to worry about how the 'id' attribute is being
stored, although I intend to add a trapdoor so that 'id' and '__name__'
will automatically be stored 'persistently' if no other provider handles
them.