[PEAK] [AddOn] conceptual thinkings

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Dec 19 13:39:23 EST 2015

I think you would be better off with the Plugins package (
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Plugins ) rather than the AddOns package.
Or you might find it simpler to use pkg_resources entry points
directly.

All of this assumes that your goal is to support the distribution of
*separate packages* which provide actions from your script.  If all
the possible actions are distributed with the script, then there is
little point to using any of this.  Entry points provide a way to
discover what plugin packages have been installed, the Plugins package
provides a framework for co-ordinating multiple hooks (e.g. a set of
plugins that add menu items to a GUI), and the AddOns package is for
attaching extra data and methods to arbitrary objects, without
namespace clashes.  None of these sound like what you're looking for,
unless you wish to allow others to write plugins for your script, or
you plan to distribute your own plugins as separately-installed
packages.