[PEAK] PEAK-Rules for Python3

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 9 12:15:21 EDT 2015

Yes.  Slicing is broken, as is syntax pattern matching.  I'm not
seeing any breakage on peak.rules.debug's import, though.  As of this
morning, Python 3.1 has 735 lines of failure output from `setup.py
test`, in about 30-something individual doctest failures, almost half
of which are pure repr issues, where the values shown as not matching
are actually equal.  Most of the remaining ones are either
SyntaxErrors caused by unsupported-on-3.x syntax, slicing problems, or
cascading errors from the two preceding things.  I only see two errors
that look like they need further investigation: the MRO problem in
README.txt, and the 'NoneType is not callable' in Predicates.txt.

I'm thinking that I need to change the pattern-matching syntax to
something like `[[var]]` instead of backquotes, though for backwards
compatibility I'll still support backquotes.  But then the tests and
things can use [[]] syntax to work across 2.x and 3.x.

(Btw, I just checked in some more test cleanup stuff, to clear away
several more false positive test failures on 3.x)