[PEAK] peak/utils/addons import problem

nicky van foreest vanforeest at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:21:21 EDT 2011

> Indeed.  So the question is why peak.util.__path__ only contains Extremes,
> and not AddOns or DecoratorTools.  Okay, try this:
> import peak; import sys; print 'peak.util' in sys.modules

This gives `False', as expected from your explanation below.

> If it's in sys.modules before you explicitly import it, it's probably an
> issue in the system python install, and you'll need to contact the Ubuntu
> folks.  It might also be a good idea to list all your system packages that
> install stuff to the system Python, and to check what version of setuptools
> or Distribute is installed, in case the issue is in the one that's installed
> with the system Python.

To check this I decided to remove all the directories containing
Addons, etc., and reinstall with pip. At first I installed trellis
with pip into ~/lib/python, but this didn't result in a working
enviroment too. Then I decided to  install trellis into the systemwide
site-packages, and now it works.

> (Note that even though you say there's no peak/util anywhere except in your
> ~lib/python, I strongly suspect that this has something to do with Debian
> and Ubuntu distributing a "peak.util" package that contains a whole bunch of
> peak.util stuff, with different versions of addons, decoratortools, etc.
> jammed together.)

I am pretty sure this is not the case. I used locate peak |grep util
to find any file on the system that matches peak and util (and I
updated the database used by locate to ensure it was refreshed). The
only ones were in ~/lib/python.

Thanks very much for all your help.