[PEAK] Patch: Update RuleDispatch for python-2.7

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 04:56:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 11:32:00PM -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:02 PM 8/2/2010 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >Excellent!  pypi seems to be down right now but I'll grab the new release as
> >soon as I can.  Did you license 0.6 as ZPL-2.1 by any chance?  Or is it
> >still Apache License?
>
> You'll need to take 'em from SVN, or from the
> peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/ directory:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/BytecodeAssembler-0.6-r2646.tar.gz
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/PEAK-Rules-0.5a1.dev-r2646.tar.gz

Thanks!  I'll grab from there.

> (Please note that I'd really much rather be licensing under Apache
> 2.0 in future; is there anything I can do to speed that process
> along?  Thanks.)

Not that I know of.  The GPLv2 is a very popular license.  So it's going to
be a long time before it will be easy to license a library as something that
is incompatible with it and still avoid licensing mismatches.  In this case,
bytecode-assembler is being used by the TurboGears and TurboGears2
frameworks which makes things worse in some ways.  Those frameworks
currently have this to summarize their licensing:

"""
licenses, and all of TG2 and it’s underlying components are not copy_left
licensed, so you can include them in your projects – even if they are
proprietary
"""

http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/docs/main/License.html

TurboGears-specific code is licensed under the MIT license.

These are concerns for Fedora as a Linux distribution that has to audit the
legality of the software that we ship as it means that we'll have to keep an
eye out for mixing of Apache and GPLv2 code.

For Fedora as a software producer, until recently, most of our applications
were licensed as GPLv2-only.  We've recently been trying to relicense
applications as GPLv2+ but so far I think we've only gotten two applications
switched over.  This is hard because relicensing requires getting agreement
from all contributors which means finding and getting responses from
everyone who has contributed in the past.

-Toshio