[PEAK] Patch: Update RuleDispatch for python-2.7

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 14:35:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:11:16AM -0400, P.J. Eby wrote:

> So, what I've done for now is release an 0.5.2 "compatibility
> release" of BytecodeAssembler with just the quick workarounds, then
> later I'll release an 0.6 with a more "symbolic" disassembler that
> can handle the emulations transparently for testing purposes.  (And
> with support for SETUP_WITH and some improved LIST_APPEND handling.)
>
> Meanwhile, PEAK-Rules's svn version now appears to have only cosmetic
> test failures on 2.7, when used with BytecodeAssembler 0.5.2.  It's
> not perfect by any means, but then, it looks like most of those
> shallow failures were happening with 2.6 anyway.  ;-)
>
> Please let me know whether this is sufficient for you to be able to
> offer PEAK-Rules on 2.7 for now.

The maintainers took a look but spotted a non-technical change right off the
bat that isn't necessarily a deal-breaker but does mean a huge amount of
work and potentially could cause problems.

Looks like 0.5.2 relicensed to the Apache Software license v2.  That license
is incompatible with the GPLv2  (It is compatible with the GPLv3).  That
means that we need to audit all of the software we ship or could potentially
ship that uses bytecode-assembler and will need to remove any that ship
under the GPLv2 (GPLv2 only... GPLv2 or later would essentially become GPLv3
or later... which then would mean we have to audit the relationship of all
of that code to determine if changing that to GPLv3 causes any further
problems).

Would you be willing to change the license back to PSF or ZPL (with
versions if possible)?

-Toshio