[PEAK] Connecting the Trellis to non-trellis systems

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 11 11:19:12 EDT 2008

At 09:50 AM 3/11/2008 +0200, Peter Damoc wrote:
>Hi Phillip,
>
>Are there any GUI examples? wxPython examples would be ideal. :)

Not yet, but there will be at some point.  Gotta finish, test, and
document the code first!

However, I envision having something like an
"EventConnector(wxobject, wxevent, defaultobject)" cell, whose
subscribe/unsubscribe methods will simply call down to
bind/unbind.  And then those connectors will be wrapped in APIs like
'getMousePosition(wxobject)' that you'll be able to use in rules, to
have the rule get recalculated when the mouse position changes.  Or
like 'mouseDown(wxobject)', that goes true when a mouse down event occurs, etc.

My general idea is to make these either generic functions, or methods
of a context.Service, so that you can write rules that are in fact
not specific to the GUI backend in use.  That way, you could write
code that's not only cross-platform, but would also work with Qt, wx,
Tk, or any other unpronounceable pair of consonants that stands for a
GUI framework.  ;-)

I'm pretty excited, though, about the part where we won't have to use
those %$$&%%($ "bind" calls any more, or figure out how to
reverse-map the GUI's events into our application's state
machines.  Instead, we'll get to treat the GUI like a *library*
instead of a framework.

Looks like the Trellis is going to be able to "untwist" more than
just Twisted, in other words.