[PEAK] Downloading via redirection

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Mar 24 11:47:07 EDT 2007

At 12:06 AM 3/24/2007 -0400, Yang wrote:
>Hm. I believe both Justizin and I were thinking that easy_install
>would at least try the Download-URL in the package's PKG-INFO.

It does "try" it - and the URL looks like a web page URL, so it treats it
as a web page.  Something like half of the Cheeseshop packages that have
download URLs, point to web pages.  And those that don't point to web
pages, are URLs that end with a distutils filename like
"foobar-1.9.tar.gz".  EasyInstall doesn't download the ones that look like
files; it downloads the ones that look like webpages, in order to look for
links.

All of this behavior is documented quite extensively in both the setuptools
manual and the easy_install manual, including how to use the #egg notation
to override easy_install's interpretation of links.