[PEAK] setuptools distribution tarball name

Timur Izhbulatov TimurIzhbulatov at oilspace.com
Mon Jul 2 04:21:22 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem when declaring dependencies for my project. It
depends on py-smbpasswd [1] which has distribution tarball named as
py-smbpasswd-<version>.tar.gz but the extension module itself is named
smbpasswd. So, if I declare the dependency as

     install_requires = [
         'py-smbpasswd >= 1.0',

     ],
     dependency_links = [
          'http://barryp.org/software/py-smbpasswd/'
     ],

easy_install installs the distribution but fails to satisfy the requirement and
setup.py exits with an error.

And if I do declaration with direct link to the tarball

     install_requires = [
         'smbpasswd >= 1.0',

     ],
     dependency_links = [

'http://barryp.org/static/software/download/py-smbpasswd/1.0.1/py-smbpasswd-1.0.1.tar.gz',
     ],

easy_install ignores the link because the file name doesn't match and fails to
find the tarball.

Is it still possible to somehow handle this dependency automatically?
If not, how can I use setuptools to install it manually from my setup.py?

[1] http://barryp.org/software/py-smbpasswd/

Thanks,
--
Timur Izhbulatov
OILspace, 26 Leninskaya sloboda, bld. 2, 2nd floor, 115280 Moscow, Russia