[PEAK] setuptools and subversion 1.4

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 17 00:46:33 EDT 2006

At 07:31 AM 9/17/2006 +0300, Marc-Antoine Parent wrote:
>Good day!
>Hope this is the right place to post this.
>You may know that subversion now has a different entries file
>format... And that the code in get_svn_revision breaks on checkouts
>that have been updated to the new format.
>I did a quick hack to make it work; it probably needs improvements
>(caching the split(), for example) but as an emergency measure it
>might do.
>I think that, as a more robust, strategy, you might consider calling
>'svn info' and parsing the result. It can be done even if the net is
>down.

Alas, my understanding is that the output from "svn info" is
locale-specific; in fact we used to use that, then switched to parsing
"entries".  By the way, folks doing specialized revision control system
support should probably have a look at:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#adding-support-for-other-revision-control-systems

As it's possible to add plugins for just about anything.  I'll add your fix
or something like it to 0.6c3 (sigh).

Also, given this format change, it sounds like there might be issues with
detecting what files are under revision control as well.  Have you tried
doing a fresh checkout of a project with data files (but not an .egg-info
directory) and then building an "sdist" of it?  Does it detect and include
all the files?

If not, then the sdist revision control support needs a fix as well.