[PEAK] default distutils behavior

Glen W. Mabey Glen.Mabey at swri.org
Tue Nov 7 12:07:29 EST 2006

Hello,

Is it possible to instruct setuptools to use more of a distutils-type
behavior in performing an install?

To explain, I have quite a number of python packages that I have setup
with my own configuration for file management and un-installation.  This
week, for the first time, I encountered a package (django) that uses
setuptools.  My first impression is that it is trying to do a lot of
things that I don't want it to do:  manage sys.path, download other
packages, and so forth.

Instead I want be able to install django without it creating or using
easy-install.pth, site.py, or the ??-py2.4.egg directory.  I just want
to be able to install it in a non-standard location with all of the
necessary files going directly into lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/ .

Is there support invoking this distutils-type behavior in the
installation of a package that "requires" setuptools?

Thank you,
Glen Mabey