[PEAK] RuleDispatch not on Cheeseshop?

Jay Parlar parlar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 12:35:58 EST 2006

On 3/3/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> > > Yep, and you still get that.  If you do `Subversion repository
> > > <http://path/to/Project/trunk#egg=Project-dev>`_ in your project
> > > description, your package can be installed with easy_install directly
> > > from that repository.
> > >

> >But that doesn't take the dependency resolution into account, right?
>
> Yes, it does.  Whatever is specified in the setup.py in Subversion will
> determine the dependencies.

Sorry, I must not be making myself clear. Yes, dependency information
is there in setup.py. The thing is, those dependencies are usually in
the form of Require("SomePackage"), right? (I know, I probably got the
syntax wrong).

My whole point, is that packages can go up onto Cheeseshop, and list a
whole bunch of dependencies. But then those dependencies themselves
are not available on Cheeseshop (or explicitly listen in the setup
info), and the install breaks. Is that something that is considered
"ok"? I would think no.

If it's not considered ok, then maybe Cheeseshop could automatically
check that the projects' dependencies are also present? Or do you not
want such a strong link between Cheeseshop and setuptools?

Jay P.