[PEAK] RuleDispatch not on Cheeseshop?

Jay Parlar parlar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:30:17 EST 2006

On 3/4/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm... Maybe I was looking at it wrong, but I was seeing Cheeseshop
> > as Python's own version of the Gentoo Portage tree. I mean, with
> > easy_install, we get all the nice dependency resolution and
> > everything.
>
> Yep, and you still get that.  If you do `Subversion repository
> <http://path/to/Project/trunk#egg=Project-dev>`_ in your project
> description, your package can be installed with easy_install directly
> from that repository.

But that doesn't take the dependency resolution into account, right?

 What I was trying to say (and maybe I just didn't explain myself well
enough), is that nothing goes into the Gentoo Portage tree (or
Debian's package servers, or Darwinports,Fink, etc.) unless all the
dependencies for the project are also present in the tree.

So right now, you can put a project on Cheeseshop, even if the
project's dependencies aren't there (which is the original TurboGears
problem I had). However, an easy_install of the project will then
fail, because the dependencies can't be found.

I'm not sure what the proper solution to that is...

Jay P.