[PEAK] Re: problem with EasyInstall 0.6a10 + pkg manager

Ronny Pfannschmidt Ronny.Pfannschmidt at gmx.de
Wed Mar 1 11:53:42 EST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 09:35 AM 3/1/2006, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
>
>> With the latest version of EasyInstall i had a major problem with the
>> "exhaustive testing of the install directory, including a spawn test for
>> .pth file support"
>> since my pkg manager uses `setup.py install --root=Dest` to install the
>> pkg in a image directory, before installing it on the system.
>>
>> actually i work around this by creating the needed dirs and adding them
>> to PYTHONPATH
>>
>> is there a nicer way too work with such pkg managers ?
>

> Yes.  Use "setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed
> --root=Dest", which will do the installation in a way that's package
> manager friendly.
>
> I may change this at some point so that a --root (other than /)
> automatically triggers the other option, but at the moment I'm not
> sure whether that would interfere with anything else.

i tried the option, and found several problems
while the python modules where installed fine much of the other data is
thrown right into /usr (wich isnt very nice)

as result the program (pida) was not working anymore ( while it worked
with the dirty workaround), since it was written for a egg image, wich
implies, that much of the data is in the root of the egg image and
usually the path can be resolved by the module path

mfg r0nny