[PEAK] Re: problem with EasyInstall 0.6a10 + pkg manager

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 1 10:08:54 EST 2006

At 09:35 AM 3/1/2006, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
>With the latest version of EasyInstall i had a major problem with the
>"exhaustive testing of the install directory, including a spawn test for
>.pth file support"
>since my pkg manager uses `setup.py install --root=Dest` to install the
>pkg in a image directory, before installing it on the system.
>
>actually i work around this by creating the needed dirs and adding them
>to PYTHONPATH
>
>is there a nicer way too work with such pkg managers ?

Yes.  Use "setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed
--root=Dest", which will do the installation in a way that's package
manager friendly.

I may change this at some point so that a --root (other than /)
automatically triggers the other option, but at the moment I'm not
sure whether that would interfere with anything else.