[PEAK] how to use "help()" ?

Michael Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Wed Jan 11 14:16:28 EST 2006

My apologies if this issue is already posted somewhere, I was not able to
find a mention on the mailing list or in the docs -

I have a user who wants to use the "help()" function on a module that was
installed as an egg by setuptools.   It seems that help() has some
dependency on the module being linked to a .py file inside real directory:

Trying to use help() under python interperter, and get error:

 >>> import sqlalchemy
 >>> help(sqlalchemy)

OSError: [Errno 20] Not a directory:
'/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.91alpha-py2.4.egg/sqlalchemy'

is this just a known issue with help() ?

- mike