[PEAK] Re: /usr/lib64 site-packages (was Re: installation troubles)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Feb 9 20:01:30 EST 2006

At 06:17 PM 2/9/2006 -0500, Karl Pietrzak wrote:
>On Thursday 09 February 2006 17:51, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > FYI, I just did a bit more research and confirmed this as a packaging
> > problem with some 64-bit Python ports; see this thread for some background:
> >
> >      http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-April/004472.html
> >
> > Apparently, none of the Linux vendors that patch Python to install to
> > /usr/lib64 catch all of the places that need to be patched.
>
>Shouldn't the fix be at the Python end?

Certainly.  But apparently the vendors haven't upstreamed their patches,
which would get them reviewed by people who would (hopefully) spot the
missing bits.

Or maybe they have and no-one's been available.  If they can cite patch
numbers for Python, I can certainly review them and try to drum up other
reviewers as well to get them in for 2.5, and maybe future 2.4.x releases,
if any.