[PEAK] ez_setup on 64-bit linux problem

Viren Shah vshah at virtc.com
Thu Sep 29 09:49:09 EDT 2005

[I sent this earlier without being a subscriber and it was sent to the
moderation queue so I'm resending it after subscribing]

Hi,
   I'm running a 64-bit Fedora Core 3 with python 2.3.4. I'm trying to
install setuptools to use with Trac, and get the following error:

  [root at Mrdumpling ~]$ python ez_setup.py
Downloading
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.3/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6a4-py2.3.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "ez_setup.py", line 206, in ?
     main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "ez_setup.py", line 141, in main
     from setuptools.command.easy_install import main
OverflowError: signed integer is greater than maximum

I get the same type of error if I try installing setuptools manually. I
figure this has to do with the 64-bit nature of the OS and python, but
not being a python person, don't know what a workaround would be.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Viren

--