[PEAK] Next PEAK release?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Sep 13 23:56:18 EDT 2005

At 11:39 PM 9/13/2005 +0000, Tiago Cogumbreiro wrote:
>Because I thought peak would be decoupled in more a less three parts
>the core, which would group something as bindings, utils and events
>and security a second package with models, storage, metamodels and a
>third one with web. The benifits of this are inherent.

It's still more or less the plan, but there will be more than three
parts.  For example, I expect many peak.util.* packages to have their own
distributions.  E.g. peak.util.imports will probably become DynamicImports
or something like that.

>The second thing is how outdated PEAK is (in terms of the latest
>release) and feels (the webpage).
>
>It seems that 0.54dev is as stable as 0.53 is - what was the last
>bugreport we had on the list? - What's missing for 0.54?
>
>Also could we update the webpage?
>The latest news is from 2004 (almost 1 year old) the CVS information
>is outdated, since PEAK moved to SVN.
>In the download page the "download up to the minute" link is broken.

I'll keep these in mind for fixing; however, my time for open source
projects (other than Chandler, which I'm paid to work on) is fairly
limited, and my top priority is the setuptools/EasyInstall/pkg_resources
trifecta, as it will actually be used for my "day job" at some point soon.

However, I've just released setuptools 0.6a1, which is a major milestone,
so soon I should have some more time to work on PEAK breakup and related tasks.

>Is it advised to embed PEAK into our applications instead of depending
>on it? What I would really like to see is PEAK supported by a
>distribution out there, but peak 0.54, not 0.53

Feel free to depend on the snapshots at
http://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/, using setuptools.  See
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools for documentation on
using setuptools.

Now that PEAK and some of these other packages are in Subversion, I could
probably set up PyPI links to allow them to be downloaded and built via
svn.  However, note that you can also easily use
--find-links=http://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/ as an option to
EasyInstall to tell it to scan that directory for versions of PEAK and
related projects.