[PEAK] Any chance/timeline for a public release of PEAK incl. doc?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 17 13:40:20 EDT 2005

At 04:10 PM 10/17/2005 +0200, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>But  as  far  as  I  understand,  Peak  is  essentially              a
>one-developer-endeavour  and  as such it has little chance to ever get
>to  the  point  of  being  "stable"  -  not  to  mention "complete" or
>"finished"  - and "documented". At least to the point that someone who
>wants to use it does no longer have to constantly re-engineer it - and
>its  permanent  changes  -  from  the sourcecode. Which is essentially
>impossible  anyway  for  probably most Python scripters (such like me)
>due to lack of skills.
>
>Is  there  any chance that this will change in the foreseeable future?

Sure, there's a chance.  It's just very, very small.  :)

Seriously, it's just going to be a very slow process.  My general plan is
to spin off stable parts into separately released packages with their own
documentation, ala PyProtocols and RuleDispatch.  (Although RuleDispatch
doesn't have a lot of docs yet.)

I've decided this is the best way to do it, because right now the task of
assembling usable documentation for all of PEAK is too big to even
consider, especially now that my paying work does not directly support most
PEAK projects.  About a year and a half ago, the group that used PEAK and
employed me was shut down, and my new client is not (currently) using
PEAK.  If that were to change, then there would certainly be an
acceleration in the development rate again, and especially documentation
progress.

>I.e.  that  there will be more developers and documentors available in
>order to make Peak somewhat more "end-developer"-proof?

That's entirely dependent on funding and volunteers.  If I were working on
PEAK full-time (something that has never happened for more than a few days
at a time, except when I was unemployed), I'm sure quite a lot of things
could get finished and wrapped up.