[PEAK] eggs with individual .pth's

Rob Cakebread pythonhead at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 12 17:07:29 EDT 2005

Hi,

We're trying to incorporate eggs into Gentoo Linux's packaging system
(portage).

Portage installs everything into a sandbox before moving it to the
actual file system. Because this directory isn't in Python's path,
easy-install.pth is not getting updated when we add new eggs.

Manually updating easy-install.pth ourselves is an option when
eggs are added or removed, but it seems adding individual .pth files for
each egg would make it easier to integrate with portage.

Would using individual .pth files be a problem as far as using
easy_install as a query tool or breaking other features it may have?

Thanks,
Rob

--
Rob Cakebread