[PEAK] Problem installng ez_setup

Jon Rosen jon at coral8.com
Tue Nov 29 23:14:19 EST 2005

Hi,

I have been trying to get ez_setup.py to run.  Here are the particulars:

We are using Debian.  Python2.4 is installed in /usr/bin (and is in the
path).  Site-packages is installed in /usr/lib/python2.4.  I placed
ez_setup.py in the site-packages directory.

When I execute it uisng "python2.4 ez_setup.py", I get the following output:

jon at qasup1:/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages$ python2.4 ez_setup.py
Downloading
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6a8-py2.4.egg
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)
jon at qasup1:/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages$

As reported, there is no config directory under python2.4.  I am not
sure if this is missing for some reason or there is a problem with the
ez_setup.py I have.  I couldn't find any reference to a Makefile or even
a "make" in the setup script.

I am a relative newbie and my sysadmin set up python2.4 for me on my
server.  As I noted above, we are using Debian and he said he installed
python from the preconfigured packages that come with Debian.

Could some shed some light on this situation, please?

Thanks very much!

Jon Rosen
Director, Softare Testng
Coral8, Inc.

PS - I had no problem installing ez_setup and all the associated tools,
plus a number of eggs (SQLObject and FormEncode) on my Windows box, but
there I did the Python install myself.  So I am not sure what is on here
unless it is my absolute ignorance of things Linux :-)