[PEAK] Interfacing Peak with Twisted

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 15 23:16:28 EST 2005

At 09:40 AM 3/15/05 -0100, Tiago Cogumbreiro wrote:

>In what terms does PEAK take advantage of AOP, since it has it's roots
>in TransWarp. I've read a chunk about AOP but have yet failed to
>understand it's pratical usage. Usually because the examples are about
>logging and profilling. One thing that I find most interesting in this
>framework is the theory behind it and a chance to see a real working
>example of it. For example one thing that it confuses me is that most
>AOP frameworks take advantage of method matching and context  of where
>they are called. TransWarp and PEAK use a completly different
>approach, where's the catch? I'm sorry if I misunderstood anything
>about PEAK or TransWarp.

I posted a very lengthy explanation of this last summer on the mailing
list; essentially use of AOP in PEAK is pretty much dead, replaced by
generic functions.  There's still a module-oriented AOP system in
peak.config, but it will be deprecated along with peak.model once there's a
complete replacement for both.

Anyway, for something close to the full story, see:

http://www.eby-sarna.com/pipermail/peak/2004-July/001563.html