[PEAK] Installation Issue

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 27 11:14:01 EDT 2005

At 05:05 PM 7/26/2005 -0400, Jay Parlar wrote:
>Due to our firewall, I get:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "c:\Python24\lib\urllib2.py", line 480, in http_error_default
>     raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
>urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 407: Proxy authentication required
>
>and I've not had any time to look into extending ez_setup to get
>around it, which is why I wanted to use the win32exe.

If you download the appropriate .egg.zip file from PyPI (and rename it to
.egg), you can put it in the same directory with ez_setup.py, and it won't
attempt to download it.

Second, if your firewall is NTLM-based, you can also see:

     http://ntlmaps.sf.net/

To get a nice Python authentication proxy that will let Python programs get
past your NTLM firewall.  (I'm assuming that's the problem, otherwise
urllib2 should already be reading your Windows registry browser proxy
information and logging into the firewall for you.)

If you get it working, you should be able to use easy_install to find and
download stuff from anywhere without having to download by hand.  For that
matter, you should be able to use ez_setup to download and install
setuptools if you set up the proxy first.