[PEAK] peak lanuch and freebsd

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Nov 1 21:33:03 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> It sounds to me like maybe Python is waiting for w3m to finish before it
> starts the web server.  The 'webbrowser' module just does the equivalent of:
>
>       os.system("w3m http://localhost:2854/")
>
> So if 'w3m' doesn't fork off another process at that point, it's going to
> be hosed in a way much like what you describe.  Try setting:
>
>       BROWSER="w3m %s &"
>
> and run peak launch.  I think this might be needed for certain Unix browsers.

The first way would not work for any of the unix browsers I have
used (w3m, links, lynx, firefox), nor would I expect it to or, for
that matter, want it to.  Logically, if you expect the process the
continue on and do some work, shouldn't you be forking that process?

Supposedly you *can* make firefox work that way, assuming you already
have it lanuched somewhere, but as far as I know that isn't the
default, nor would it work if you didn't have it launched already
even if you had changed the default behavior.  Which I've never been
able to figure out how to do, but I haven't tried very hard.

--David