[PEAK] Subversion (was Re: The road to PyProtocols 1.0)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun May 30 15:30:32 EDT 2004

On May 30, 2004, at 2:23 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 01:56 PM 5/30/04 -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> The Subversion client is absolutely painless to install (a few
>> clicks), at least on Win32 and OS X (with Martin Ott's statically
>> linked binaries).  It compiles easily elsewhere (just make sure to
>> configure --with-ssl, even though it doesn't show up in ./configure
>> --help).  I suggest you go ahead and install it anyway, because more
>> and more projects are using it these days.  I'm surprised you don't
>> have it already, because Twisted moved to Subversion some time ago
>> (about the same time as PyCon).
>
> My mentor in programming told me to always prefer what he called "one
> year old technology" - new enough for some competitive advantage, but
> old enough to have the worst bugs fixed.  Subversion isn't quite there
> yet for me.  :)

It's been completely usable for more than a year.  I know because I
have been using it, with no problems at all (on win32, linux, and os
x), for longer than that.

> Ah well, I guess I'll have to learn it eventually.  I'm downloading
> the source now to compile for Cygwin, since there doesn't seem to be a
> Cygwin package available.

Why?  The win32 installer gives you a svn.exe that run just fine from
the console (and some documentation, but not much else).  Is it a
requirement that your Subversion installation be subject to the terms
of the GPL? :)

-bob