[PEAK] The road to PyProtocols 1.0

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun May 30 13:56:07 EDT 2004

On May 30, 2004, at 1:42 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 01:26 AM 5/30/04 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>> On May 30, 2004, at 12:43 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>> * Raise 'AdaptationFailure' instead of 'NotImplementedError'.
>>> 'AdaptationFailure' should subclass 'NotImplementedError' and
>>> 'TypeError'.
>>>
>>> * Check if anybody's using the 'factory' argument to 'adapt()', and
>>> if not, get rid of it.
>>>
>>> * If 'factory' isn't used anywhere, consider ditching the second
>>> parameter passed to adapters.  That is, instead of calling
>>> 'someadapter(ob,proto)', just call 'someadapter(ob)'.  This would
>>> give PyProtocols adapters the same calling signature as e.g. Zope
>>> adapters.
>>
>> I am in FormEncode, but maybe I shouldn't be.  Basically I allow
>> objects to either provide an attribute, or an adapter, and lazily
>> I've only ended up using attributes -- i.e., the factory gets
>> ob.validator instead of actually registering an adapter for ob ->
>> IValidator.
>> Frankly I still don't know what I'm doing with interfaces and
>> adapters, or how they should really fit into the system, so I've
>> fumbled around with different ways of using it.
>
> I'd take a look at it for you, but I'd have to install Subversion
> first.  :)  You don't happen to have a ViewCVS for it somewhere, do
> you?

The Subversion client is absolutely painless to install (a few clicks),
at least on Win32 and OS X (with Martin Ott's statically linked
binaries).  It compiles easily elsewhere (just make sure to configure
--with-ssl, even though it doesn't show up in ./configure --help).  I
suggest you go ahead and install it anyway, because more and more
projects are using it these days.  I'm surprised you don't have it
already, because Twisted moved to Subversion some time ago (about the
same time as PyCon).  For win32, I also suggest getting TortoiseSVN,
which is the Explorer integration (icon badging, contextual menu
operations).

-bob