[PEAK] Re: Proposal for another Wiki "tutorial"

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Fri Jul 16 17:27:16 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 01:59 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> A few design comments...  hope you don't mind.
>
> If you are going to develop a framework like this with PEAK, the place to
> start is with "enduring abstractions".  That is, things that will always be
> a part of the application.  Or, to put it another way, what is the
> application's "domain"?

Your ability to separate a problem into clear and distinct abstractions never
ceases to amaze and impress.  :)

> Now, it may be that I have just designed something more like John Landahl
> wants than what you want.

It's very much what I had in mind.  I think I'll start working on some code to
test out some of the ideas, and will check it into peakplace when there's
something worth mentioning.

I'm thinking of using an events.Task for each test runner (e.g. test HTTP
connectivity for system abc.xyz.com every 2 minutes), which would allow
peak.events to do all the scheduling.  For ICMP pings it might make sense to
have each ping request go into a queue so they can be processed periodically
en mass through an external call to fping.

[Actually, it occurred to me that the perfect language/platform for this tool
would be Erlang/OTP, for a number of reasons: 1) intrisic, highly efficient
concurrency; 2) its hierarchical process supervision model can be used to
ensure that tests are always running correctly; 3) built-in distributed
programming support makes it simple to add multiple monitoring servers for
load distribution and redundancy; 4) its built-in OODBMS-like database would
be a good fit, and requires no ORM layer (downside: no SQL access to data);
5) high uptime and fault tolerance capabilities (e.g. can update application
code without restarting it, built-in support for application
failover/migration).  This would be a fun project, too, and it would be quite
interesting to see both implementations.]