[PEAK] Proposal for another Wiki "tutorial"

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 15:42:16 EDT 2004

I'm thinking of putting another tutorial-style series of pages on the
Wiki. I'm not experienced in PEAK, so it's from the perspective of
someone who is learning as they go along. What I'm thinking of doing
is developing an application, working from the "core" PEAK modules
outwards. I don't know how practical this is, but it feels OK -
component based design, then protocols, binding to join things
together, then naming and config to make the whole thing configurable.
Add running and commands for a standard runtime approach, and maybe
logs to add logging. Luckily (given the current state of flux) I don't
think that storage will need to figure strongly in my application.

The application I have in mind is basically a server monitoring tool -
send "pings" to a set of servers and collect the results back. It's a
real-life application for me (or at least a variation on one) so it
would hopefully be a little less artificial than "Hello, world" (not
to take anything from the excellent existing tutorial).

I'm not sure how this will go (I'll be writing as I build, so I
haven't made the mistakes yet!)

Does this sound like a worthwhile project?

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank