[PEAK] Does a PEAK-ized webware esist ?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jan 30 17:04:40 EST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 05:33 PM 1/29/04 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> * When option values are retrieved, type information is given.  So
>> there's no configuration schema.
>

> FWIW, PEAK offers both .ini files (that use Python expressions and are
> therefore dynamically typed) and ZConfig (which is schema-driven).

These configuration files don't use Python expressions, so they are
somewhat different.  I suppose there's an implicit schema built into the
code itself, as types are specified when fetching the configuration
information.  This might be annoying later on, I'm not sure -- but it
makes adding new configuration parameters very easy.

If I was going to use Python expressions, I'd probably use a Python
module as the configuration source and forget about .ini (grabbing
__dict__'s as necessary).  The only problem is introducing sectional
structure.  Using class: is one way, but that use of class is a bit of a
misnomer.

I guess if I wanted a typed configuration syntax, YAML seems like a
reasonable option.

   Ian