[PEAK] PEAK CVS vs. ZODB CVS :: [pP]ersistence :: Round 1, Fight!

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Feb 20 17:47:23 EST 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 5:31 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 05:25 PM 2/20/04 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you should consider changing the install mode to use a PEAK
>> "root folder" with a PEAK.pth so all of the packages become top
>> level?
>> It would make PEAK easier to uninstall or upgrade, if nothing else.
>> At current count, PEAK drops *6* things into your site-packages
>> folder, only one of which is named peak.
>
> Can the distutils even *do* that?  If so, it'd be fantastic.  I don't
> recall having seen anywhere that you can generate .pth files with the
> distutils, let alone install stuff under a subdirectory.
>
> (Note that not using the distutils, or hacking them up, is not really
> an option for me.  I have other distutils-based stuff at work I have
> to support, that this plugs into.)

Sure can!  It's called extra_path .. I can't find documentation for it
anywhere.. but it works like this:
dist = setup(
	extra_path="PEAK",
)

and then it will automatically make a PEAK.pth and drop everything in a
PEAK folder.

BTW:  the contents of the pth file will be just "PEAK" sans quotes
because it's a relative path (though I don't know if it would respect
"..")

-bob