[PEAK] Wiki lockdown begun

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 30 20:09:02 EST 2004

FYI, I've disabled editing of the Wiki by unregistered users, to keep from
drowning in spam.  The spammers were mostly sticking to off-the-beaten-path
pages, either replacing them entirely or tacking links at the end.  But
recently they started randomly replacing snippets of pages with real
content, which was much harder to clean up than their older tactics, and
besides, the RecentChanges list was filling up with me removing spam from
pages.

So, if you want to edit a page, be sure to sign in: just click on
UserPreferences if you see it in the upper right corner of a page (instead
of your name, which means you're signed in).

I don't know if this will be enough to stop the spammers; if they stop to
read long enough they might figure out how to log in, but since most of
them don't even bother to uncheck the "send e-mail" checkbox, I'm guessing
most of them aren't paying close enough attention for that.  :)