[PEAK] wiki, ComposingHierarchies tutorial, don't understand PropertyName and simplecmpApp

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Aug 4 11:45:19 EDT 2004

At 10:39 AM 8/4/04 +0200, Alexandre Garel wrote:
>Hello,
>I read your page on peak wiki with title ComposingHierarchies
>(<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/ComposingHierarchies>http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/ComposingHierarchies).
>I didn't understood lines like
>

>SPAM_PROPERTY = PropertyName("simplecmpApp.spam")
>
>What is PropertyName and simplecmpApp ?
>could you explain ?

I didn't write that tutorial, but 'PropertyName' is a PEAK class for
hierarchical names similar to Java configuration property names.  A
PropertyName is basically a dotted name used to reference configuration
properties.

Usually, you want property names to be prefixed with some kind of
package-specific or application-specific identifier.  So, without actually
looking at the tutorial, I'm guessing that 'simplecmpApp' means 'simple
composing application' and is the prefix the tutorial's author chose to use
for the example.