[PEAK] DM refactoring and asynchrony (was Re: PEAK and Twisted, revisited)

John D. Heintz jheintz at pobox.com
Sun Apr 18 00:23:22 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've been meaning to send these links to the list for a while but have
been trying to understand the content well enough to be confident in
recommending anyone read it ;-)

This email though has nugged me into action.

I think that there are some underlying similarities between peak.query,
FO and Set oriented data.

I've been doing a lot of reading about ReiserFS and the "Future
Vision":http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html which led me to a Russian
authored book:
The Set Model for Database and Information Systems by Mikhail M. Gilula.

This book describes the mathematical model and a programming language
StarSet. Not much available besides the book and it's no longer published.

I stumbled onto a Java extension language along the same lines:
"JavaSet - extending Java by persistent
sets.":http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/markus/publications/IAITS99.ps

Also, a Microsoft language X# tries to accomplish much of the same
thing.  Arrg! I can't find the url. Dang, I'll have to send it tomorrow
after I find the white paper I know I printed off. Well, from memory
this language tries to smooth over the difference between row and
hierachical data by using streams and paths as the underlying structures.

Anyway, I thought this stuff might be of interest to the group.

John Heintz