Junction status (was Re: [PEAK] DM refactoring and asynchrony (was Re: PEAK and Twisted, revisited))

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Mon Apr 19 14:08:19 EDT 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 09:46 AM 4/16/04 +0200, Ulrich Eck wrote:
>
>> hmm, afaik there is no simple peak<->twisted-demo around. we should
>> work one out i think comparable to the bulletins example. junction
>> from peakplace also uses twisted.pb, but not yet peak.events afaik.
>

> Last I heard, John was working on it.  Certainly, he submitted a
> number of bug reports that would've required him to be using
> peak.events with Twisted in Junction in order to find the problems he
> did.  :)

Our internal version of Junction does use peak.events, but only in a
fairly limited fashion.  I've been wanting to do a rethink on various
aspects of Junction with peak.events in mind, especially Junction's
publish/subscribe features.  I want to replace all direct use of
deferreds with peak.events objects (Value object work great as
lightweight deferreds, for example), pushing all Twisted-specific code
into the various connector classes.

By the way, we now have SSL *and* SSH connectors for Junction.  I was
able to use Conch's SSH classes as a transport for PB with great
results.  The code could use some polishing, but we're already using it
in production.

I'll try to get peakplace's version of Junction up to date in the next
couple of days, and see if I can put together a couple of more
interesting examples of its use while I'm at it.