[PEAK] bulletins example OF DOOM, revisited

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Apr 15 13:40:05 EDT 2004

At 08:41 PM 4/14/04 -0400, Stephen Waterbury wrote:

>What does Sybase do about domain socket connections -- use
>localhost or ""?  (Probably not localhost since that would mean
>127.0.0.1, with possibility of a port as well).  It must have
>*some* way to do domain sockets ... Sybase *originated* on unix,
>IIRC!  Do you have to give it the domain socket *name* or
>something?  Sheesh, that would be yucky.

Sybase server names aren't TCP/IP hosts; they're names that are looked up
in a directory service.  In the simplest case, this "directory service"
consists of a text file listing server names, protocols, and addresses.  I
presume that if Sybase does support Unix domain sockets -- and I have no
idea if it does -- that you would define them there.  But so far I don't
believe I've ever used Sybase as a DB server on anything less than a
dedicated 64-bit multiprocessor machine, so I've never had reason to
investigate domain socket support.  :)