[PEAK] need hints on PEAK twisted support

ueck at net-labs.de ueck at net-labs.de
Sat Apr 10 14:34:17 EDT 2004

Hi Stephen,

> Thanks!  I am looking at it now.  I notice a reference to one
> of your nll libraries (nllworkflow).  What is the current
> status of nll?

the aim of nll* is to reduce the amount of coding as far as possible.
most things are configured (e.g. data-managers, control-flow).

Networked GUI/WebApps with RDBMS/LDAP Backends that interact with
WorkflowProcesses (Activity/State-Based) should be easily developed.

optimal case:
  UML-Tool design app/controlflow/views
  -> create peak.model from exported XMI
  -> add problem-domain specific aspects and design GUI
  -> weave model- and customized-aspects to create server/client apps.)

nll is still in it's design phase and is split up into several packages:

nll (most parts are not yet refactored for a4):
----
  Base Library for DataAccess and Networking

  - expression (TALES expressions without zope dependency)
    used by nllworkflow

  these packages are not yet refactored for peak-0.5a4
  - database (custom datamanagers and tools)
    sqldm (PYDO like configurable Datamanager)
    ldapdm (object relational binding for python-ldap->peak.storage)
    csvdm (CSV Datamanager readonly)
    mysql/sapdb (SQLConnections)
    schema (abstract sql-schema with sapdb-driver (readonly))
    bsddb (a try to make a bsddb-datamanager .. doesn't really work)

  - net ( little helpers for pyro, jabber .. unfinished stuff)
    jabber (outdated jabber.py binding, i want to use twisted's jabber impl)
    mail (fairly complete object binding for IMAP/Sieve Servers, i also want
         to refactor it to be async and use twisteds impl )
    rpc (pyro connection and proxy)

nllgui (not yet refactored for a4):
------
  a GUI Component Model that completly integrates with peak
  (mostly for wxWidget Apps).

  - lcdgui ( a first try to build a textbased LC-Display-Gui )
  - workspace (concept of a Workspace, is also used in my webdemo.
               a worspace is a the "controller" in MVC and is
               implemented in my libraries as statemachine as
               event-consumer, that interacts with the businessobjects
               on behalf of the user's actions and controls the
               user-interface. this packages is not yet complete )
  - wxgui ( a wxWidget binding that has a custom XRC parser for loading
           resources into a component tree. look at:
           <CVS>/libs/nllsandbox/gui_components/modelexplorer/
           for an example app how to use it. )

nllworkflow (actively developed and ready for a4)
------------
  a Workflow Package that currently include an UML-1.3 like
  StateMachine. Future versions should also contain a WFMC
  Engine to be able to start ActivityBased and StateBased Processes.

  - stateful ( UML StateMachine with XML-Parser that supports composite
               states and uses peak.events for async-operation and
               communication. I'm currently working on completing the
               routing constructs. Future versions should support
               history/concurrent states)

nllmessaging (outdated, not actively developed )
------------
   peakplace/junction might be an alternative.
   Async messaging with several low-level drivers (twisted.pb,
   jabber, <commercial mq's if needed>)

nllsandbox (not refactored for a4 and current nll* libs)
-----------
  playground.

  - database_components ( a script that created nll.database.sqldm's
    from a schema - currently only sapdb, examples for 2 databases)

  - gui_components ( modelexplorer is a GuiApp that can create/manage
           wxPanels (forms) from peak.model Schema's and has 2 backends
           for XMI-Data and IMAP-Mailboxes to show the flexiblity of the
           concept. the whole user-interaction is processed with
           statemachines from nllworkflow. is not uptodate)

i hope this gives a better overview for further code-browsing.

cheers
Ulrich