[TransWarp] installation of PEAK disables latest ZODB

Steven D. Arnold stevena at neosynapse.net
Mon Sep 29 15:35:47 EDT 2003

Hi,

I recently installed ZODB 3.2b3 (the standalone version), and later I
installed PEAK 0.5a2.  Before I installed PEAK, I could "import ZODB"
without a problem.  After I installed PEAK, I got the following error:

[thoth at YellowEagle:~/Documents/Personal/Development/to-do] > python
Python 2.3 (#4, Jul 31 2003, 00:11:15)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin
>>> import ZODB
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File
"/Users/thoth/Source/ZODB3-3.2b3/build/lib.darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh-2.3/ZO
DB/__init__.py", line 18, in ?
    import cPersistence, Persistence
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packag
es/Persistence/__init__.py", line 16, in ?
    from persistence._persistence import Persistent
ImportError: No module named persistence._persistence

This seems to have happened because PEAK replaces Persistence.py with a
version from an earlier version of Zope (if I recall correctly from the PEAK
docs).

If PEAK is going to use a specific version of the Zope modules, perhaps it
would be better to place those copies under the PEAK namespace so it doesn't
overwrite different versions installed by Zope.  Or perhaps there's some
other way to solve this problem?  For now, ZODB is necessary for my app and
PEAK isn't, so I have the unhappy necessity of uninstalling PEAK.  Does
anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks,
steve