[TransWarp] TableDM proof of concept, request for comments

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Mon Oct 13 06:12:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 03:09:53PM +0200, Ulrich Eck wrote:
> I've implemented something fairly similar for our apps as well
> (it was inspired by Pyro and is considered as proof-of-concept,
> that needs refactoring to make it valuable).

I haven't had time to take a look yet, but hopefully will over the next
day or so.  Maybe between our two proofs-of-concept we can get together
something useful to a few people. :)

> There are some implicit requirements and simplifications
> in my implementation, that need to go away.
> I like the way John defines the FieldMap/etc. ..

You can thank my co-worker Chad for that idea.  We're looking at adding
another feature to the mapper classes, optional input/output converters.
These would be optional callables which could do last minute conversions
of the data once its read from or about to be written to its source (a
field, a DM, an enumeration, etc.).

> so i'ld propose to find a common way of doing all this.
> I'ld be happy to contribute my stuff or help on creating
> a more advanced solution for this problem/requirement.
>
> I need to get through all the replies and make a list
> of requirements and if/how they're met with my implementation.
>
> what would be the preferred way of collaborating on this ?

How about the wiki and IRC?  I've not been on IRC much over the last
couple of months, but have been checking in here and there lately.
Another nice option would be a CVS (or preferrably Subversion) sandbox
somewhere where we could collaborate on various PEAKish (sub)projects.
Perhaps we could setup a project site on Savannah or Tigris, or (egads)
Sourceforge?