[TransWarp] Component hierarchy traversal

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Oct 1 14:46:29 EDT 2003

At 07:53 PM 10/1/03 +0200, you wrote:

> > (It does seem that it might be useful to be able to force Make() bindings
> > to be flagged 'uponAssembly' if they are for a class, and the class has
> any
> > uponAssembly bindings.  But, this wouldn't be doable with any other
> kind of
> > binding, even Make('module.Class') bindings.  Hmmm.  Of course, you could
> > do this by hand, but it does seem that some kind of visible indication
> > would be helpful.)
>
>Do you mean that binding.Component itself can somehow indicate "all
>bindings to me have uponAssembly=True"?

No.  I meant that I could possibly arrange to do something like that,
though.  But only when using 'Make(SomeClass)', not any other kind of binding.

The "by hand" was referring to manually adding the 'uponAssembly' flag to
any binding that refers to a class with any 'uponAssembly' bindings, and
doing this recursively upwards through the app.  IOW, the path you've
already decided to take.

This issue in general is rather interesting.  None of the approaches to
dealing with it are perfect: it seems there is a distinct tension between
broad resource discoverability, and lazy creation of those same resources.