[PEAK] ETA for PyProtocols 1.0

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 24 19:15:54 EST 2003

At 06:57 PM 11/24/03 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>I'm quite interested in a bunch of 1.0 features that are in the
>documentation but not in the 0.9 release (the URI feature, mostly).  It
>seems like it's been a while since any of PyProtocols has been touched (in
>CVS at least).  Is a 1.0 release expected sooner than later?

As it happens, I'm renaming the "1.0" release to "0.9.1", on account of
some issues that Jim Fulton raised in re: Zope 3 adaptation.  The only
thing it's waiting on is the completion of the documentation for the
already-completed new features (listed in CHANGES.txt), as I don't intend
to add any other new features for 0.9.1.  If you'd like to contribute doc
patches, I could probably get it done sooner.  :)

The possible difference between 0.9.1 and 1.0 is that 1.0 might change the
IAdapterFactory interface to accept only one argument, rather than
two.  Jim Fulton pointed out quite correctly that I'm almost never *using*
the second argument, and Zope 3 adapter factories take only the one
argument.  If we drop the second argument, there would be that much more
interoperability between PyProtocols and Zope 3.

I also have some other feature ideas in mind for 1.0 (i.e. *after* 0.9.1 is
out), including perhaps some new ideas from Jim's recent adaptation (no pun
intended) of PyProtocols 0.9 to Zope 3.