[PEAK] fcgi required for trivial_web and trivial_cgi?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 24 15:44:57 EST 2003

At 03:03 PM 11/24/03 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>It's without a doubt Mac OS X 10.3 (this is the same version of Python he
>is using), and getsockname does not raise for pipes (but it does return None).

Yes, a bit of quick discussion with Ty (who's a NetBSD developer) reveals
that older and non-NetBSD branches such as OS X use pairs of sockets to
implement pipes.  (Newer versions of NetBSD have another way of
implementing pipes that is the default, but the older socketpair approach
is still supported.)

If getsockname() returns None for pipes, then I guess we can check that.  A
little digging in the C source of the socket module shows that None is
returned when the socket has no address, and that seems to make sense for
sockets created with socketpair().

I've checked in a prototype fix; can you guys (Bob and/or Victor) test it
for me?  Thanks.