[PEAK] Adding psycopg support to PEAK

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 12 09:18:42 EST 2003

At 10:40 PM 11/11/03 -0800, John Landahl wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:11:34 -0500, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>
>wrote:
>
>>At 08:14 PM 11/9/03 +1100, Victor Ng wrote:
>>
>>>How do I go about setting up a peak.ini file to use pyscopg (or
>>>pyPgSQL) instead of pgdb?  I'd like to use pyscopg because I seem to
>>>get much better performance out of that particular database driver.
>>
>>No need to do that.  Simply subclass the driver and specify a different
>>DRIVER = setting, then add an .ini entry to support your new driver with
>>an appropriate URL scheme.
>
>I gave this a go, and published my results on the Wiki at:
>
>   http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/AddingPsycopgSupport
>
>Let me know if you run into any problems.

John, if you've tested this, I'll go ahead and add it to peak.storage.SQL.

Maybe instead of an 'AddingPsycopgSupport' page, this could become a
document on how to add support for an unsupported DBAPI database?  I.e.,
take my previous notes on how to identify what types a driver uses, and
whether it uses .values, and explain how to add support.  It could still
use psycopg as an example, even if I do add the support in to the mainline
code.  :)

Actually, it might be worthwhile to split it into two how-tos: adding an
address scheme, and creating a DB driver.

(And for the rest of you out there: there's no need to just sit back and
let John do all the work, you know...)