[TransWarp] Template parsing and XML/HTML processing design

Jean Jordaan jean at upfrontsystems.co.za
Mon Jul 21 03:42:53 EDT 2003

> I think that ZPT still embed code in a web page, and that there's a
> better alternative.  If you've seen PSO (pso.sf.net), Twisted's Woven,

OK, this sounds worthwhile to pursue ..

> <h1 model="foo" view="text">Title Goes Here</h1>

.. although one aspect of ZPT that I still miss here is that the
templates can be valid XML/XHTML with very little extra effort,
by putting all template attributes in their own namespace. Perhaps
it's just the purist in me, but I do think it'll be valuable to
be able to pass ZPT to a strict HTML validator without worrying
about warnings due to non-standard tags/attributes; or to process
them with XSLT that applies only the template namespace:

 <h1 pt:model="foo" pt:view="text">Title Goes Here</h1>

Will the ZPT shorthand of

 <pt:heading_section model="foo" view="text">Title Goes Here
 </pt:heading_section>

be possible? If the view expands to more than a <h1> tag, or
otherwise doesn't correspond directly to a handy HTML tag, it
can be less than helpful to hang the template attributes off an
arbitrary tag ..

--
Jean Jordaan
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za