[TransWarp] Some notes on peak.web templating, etc.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jul 14 20:28:09 EDT 2003

Current Tasks for peak.web
--------------------------

* Improved error handling: there should be an 'errorProtocol' to which
exceptions are adapted, in order to invoke an appropriate handler.  This
will allow us to declare that some given kind of error is ignored, logged,
emailed, etc., for a given application.

* Location protocol revision: getSublocation() needs an optional 'forUser'
keyword, that specifies whose access rights should be used.  If 'None', no
security check should be done.  This is to facilitate using locations as
"views" by the templating system, and also to facilitate using the
Interaction as a root "model" component.

* Skins mechanism: there needs to be an InteractionPolicy.skinService, to
determine the skin to be used by a given interaction.  The template system
will use the skin as the root "view" namespace.  The default skin service
will probably just use the application root for this, or whatever makes
sense when I implement it.  Skins will use the same "location" concept for
traversal, although it's not clear whether they should use an app-specific
variant, and if so, whether it should be the same location protocol or a
separate one.

* Templating: there needs to be a mechanism to use page templates as
methods of locations or even of application classes.  They may also need to
be usable as static methods, to be part of a skin namespace (e.g. templates
that themselves are views for use in other templates, equivalent to ZPT
macros).  Templates will need to maintain a view stack for views.  For the
model namespace, templates will track their current traversed-to ('here'?)
location, and the interaction object.  The model path '/' will refer to a
wrapper around the Interaction, that will supply some top-level namespaces
similar to those used by ZPT (e.g. request, response, user, app, root,
etc.).  These top-level namespaces will not be subject to security
controls, but all other "model" locations will be.  It is up to an
individual view component to decide how it will handle unauthorized or
not-found model locations.  Presumably, most views will simply skip over
unauthorized items.

* notFound()/notAllowed() handling for traversal: we don't know what to do
with these yet.  There needs to be a pluggable mechanism for this, that
should go in the InteractionPolicy.  But the details of how and what aren't
clear yet.

* Static Resources: there needs to be a way to map static filesystem
resources into locations/views.

* Layerable locations: there needs to be a way to layer locations together
to allow creation of skins from layers.  (Note that if we are using the
same location protocol for the model space, we can lay applications atop
one another as well, although I don't see many uses for that.)

* "Smart" locations: the IWebLocation protocol may need to expand later to
include URL knowledge and/or URL manipulation methods.

Future Directions
-----------------

These are technically not part of peak.web, but will affect how easily one
can create applications for it:

* storage.DMFor() or something like it, to easily link to DM's.  Perhaps
also an extension of the concept for query DM's, unless the query DM's are
always going to be available as subcomponents of the main DM.  (This needs
more thought.)

* Tabular data store API: we could do with developing an API for tabular
data stores, that allows 'findOne()'/'findMany()' calls with keyword
arguments that supply criteria for the "table"'s fields.  Criteria values
would be adapted to a criteria interface (with the default interpretation
that the value was a literal to be used with '=').  This would let us
encapsulate views, tables, joins, and even LDAP subtrees/queries behind a
simple interface.  In principle, one could also implement adapters that
implemented things like renaming of columns, joins across multiple tables,
etc.  The API part of this effort is deceptively simple; implementing
useful backends will be more complex.  We might be able to leverage one of
the many existing Python SQL mappers, for implementation ideas if nothing else.

* Event system: peak.security's security rule adaptation framework
demonstrates how easy it is to use PyProtocols to set up a dispatch
mechanism for "business rules".  We should investigate whether this can be
extended as a general purpose rules mechanism for peak.model objects,
possibly up to and including using them as a persistence mechanism.